Prev: DS / SG Vehicle design Next: Full Thrust PBEM game filled!

Vehicle sizes

From: Stephen Pugh <mafb90@d...>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:41:32 -0400
Subject: Vehicle sizes

Mike Wikan wrote:
> To appease you Brits I will use the Challenger MBT as a baseline for
> size comparison:
>
> Challenger MBT	   Paladin MBT
> length: 11.55m		11m
> width:   3.51m		 7m
> height:  2.9m 		 5m
>
> As you can see this is not TOO outrageous. (Although the thought of
> rolling around the battlefield in a 5m high tank gives me
> shudders...)

I measured my scratch built MBT, it came out as follows:

length:  17.0cm (hull)
	 20.5cm (with turret forward)
width:	  9.0cm
height:   6.2cm (to top of commanders hatch)

Assuming scales of 1:60 for 28mm miniatures and 1:68 for 25mm.
(Remember the 25 or 28 refers to height to the figures eyeline which is
why
25mm figures are not 1:72 scale despite 1.8m / 72 = 25mm.)
This works out at:-	28mm		25mm
length			10.2m		11.56m
width			 5.4m		 6.12m
height			 3.72m		 4.22m

In Stargrunt terms I had imagined this as a size 3 MBT, but maybe I
should
revise that to size 4. It does look big next to my APC (Scarab from
Grendel).

IMO most 25/28mm vehicles are too tall. It's hard to model low profiles.

Steve.

Prev: DS / SG Vehicle design Next: Full Thrust PBEM game filled!