Prev: Full Thrust Traveller Next: Re:Full Thrust Traveller

Re:Full Thrust Traveller

From: John Kovalic <muskrat@m...>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 17:12:35 -0400
Subject: Re:Full Thrust Traveller

>> >I've got 17 messages saved from the last discussion on using FT for
>> >TRaveller ships. Want 'em ?
>>
>> Yes, please. Thanks a lot!
>>
>> John K.
>
>Most recently I've started working out Striker vehicles in DS II terms,
>but starships are something I've always been interested in. All one
>really needs to do is get a hidden movement system that reflects the
>missile and sensor technology that is so important in Battle Rider.
>And, come to think of it, Battle Rider style misisle rules.
>
>Let me know what thoughts that batch of email produces.

Mike,

Thanks for bringing me up to date. My thoughts are (and should I post
these
to the list as well?)

Battle Rider would provide for the easiest conversions. Unfortunately,
it
no longer reflecte current thinking in Traveller, starship-wise.

Book 9 (Fighting ships) is of moderate use, since it mixes several small
ships (1,000 tons and below) with several larger ones (50,000 and
above),
with few falling inbetween.

I've been thinking about two different scales of play - Small Ships and
Super Ships,, with squads of small ships acting like fighters in the
latter
group. This seems to me to have two advantages:

A) Being able to play System Defence Boats (for example) against Free
Traders without losing TOO much from dinky under-gunning you'd need if
the
two scales were to be mixed. IE, keeping both the flavor of Traveller
AND
Full Thrust.

B) Not having to equip Super Ships with (for example) 200 "C" Batteries
by
grouping Weapons Systems together in an abstraction.

Tech levels have to be addressed if Traveller Flavor is to be
maintained,
but I believe "Mayday" had an easy system that shouldn't be too hard to
duplicate. However, Tech Level 12 missiles attacking a Tech Level 16
ship
would be like a Sopwith Camel taking on a Tomcat. So some tinkering
between
different TLs has to be taken into account other than just with
detection
and scanning.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the exact tonnages that I unit of
Full
Thrust volume represents in Traveller terms, since so many weapons
systems
will be abstracted anyway.

I'll dig out Mayday. I think the Vector Movement System has to be
introduced, but that's easy to pull over.

Anyway, these are just my first thoughts. I'm sure more will follow.

Best, and thanks again,

John

	   "This must be Thursday. I never COULD get the hang of
Thursdays"
						     - Arthur Dent
*				  "Wild Life": a Web comic --
*
*	       MUSKRAT CENTRAL: http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/muskrat/
*

Prev: Full Thrust Traveller Next: Re:Full Thrust Traveller