Prev: Alternatives to GeoHex in the UK Next: Full Thrust Traveller

Re: FT Thrust question...

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:16:09 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Thrust question...

Excerpts from FT: 17-Oct-96 Re: FT Thrust question... by Oerjan
Ohlson@nada.kth.s
> I've tried something similar on my Eldar ships (who use holoflage
fields
> instead of normal shields; the protection from the holoflage depended
both
> on the speed of the unit and the direction from which it was fired
upon);
> and their small ships became utterly lethal - small missile boats with
the
> equivalent of level 3 shields. No fun at all after the first battle...
> still like the idea, but it has to have more drawbacks or cost a lot
more
> than my idea (currently the 'fields are mass 2, cost 75... and it is
too
> good IMO).

I'd institute more of a "% total mass of ship" rather  than a
straight-up mass number, even though it would play hell with the
numbers.  And keep in mind that the small stuff (ie, your missile boats)
are not all that likely to have the holofields in the first place.
IMO,the Wraithship should have holofields, and the Shadowhunter is
nearing the smallest size ship to put the things on.

Either that, or make the effectiveness based on *change* in
velocity/speed, not the speed itself.  Ie, if a ship just coasts, the
'fields flicker in a more predicatable pattern... maybe lvl-1 shields
equivalent, but no more.  Keep the EPIC Titan fields in mind: if a Titan
isn't moving, the fields don't do much, where is the Titan charges they
help a lot.  Think of this in terms of the Titan's change in velocity,
and you've got a good conversion to FT.  IMO. ^_^

Incidentally, where'd the "holoflage fields" come from?  I've never seen
the "flage" bit....

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Alternatives to GeoHex in the UK Next: Full Thrust Traveller