Prev: Re: Streamlining Next: Re: Beam Batteries

Beam Batteries

From: dlewis2@c... (David Kendall Lewis (Ext: 3936, Room: 4060B))
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 14:00:35 -0400
Subject: Beam Batteries

This is my first message to the Full Thrust mail group, so forgive me if
am covering already hashed over ground.  I just bought the game and it's
More Thrust last night and I am having a problem with Beam Batteries.

Unless you only have 1-2 mass left on your ship, I can't see a time
where
you would want to buy anything *but* A batteries.  A Batteries are
clearly
superior in a cost/benefit analysis which I show below using the lowest
common denominator for mass (6):

		     Min      Max      Range	  Range      Range
		     Arc      Arc	0-12	  13-24      25-36
Mass	 Weapons     Cost     Cost     Damage	  Damage     Damage
----	 -------     ----     ----     ------	  ------     ------
 6	    2	      14       26	6d6	   4d6	      2d6
 6	    3	      15       27	6d6	   2d6	      N/A
 6	    6	      18       30	6d6	   N/A	      N/A

As you can see A Batteries are always cheaper and always do as much or
more
damage out to much greater range.  I feel that this should be rectified
and
the More Thrust tried to do this, but fell short.  I am thinking of
amending
Battery point costs to be "A:4+4/arc B:2+2/arc C:1+1/arc".  This would
change
the above chart to look like the one below:

		     Min      Max      Range	  Range      Range
		     Arc      Arc	0-12	  13-24      25-36
Mass	 Weapons     Cost     Cost     Damage	  Damage     Damage
----	 -------     ----     ----     ------	  ------     ------
 6	    2	      16       32	6d6	   4d6	      2d6
 6	    3	      12       24	6d6	   2d6	      N/A
 6	    6	      12       24	6d6	   N/A	      N/A

With this new scheme A Batteries would still be clearly better, but
would
cost between 33% and 50% more that B/C batteries (depending on the arc
of fire).  I feel that B & C batteries costing the same per mass is OK
as More Thrust allows C batteries to act in point defense and I feel
that
this balances B batteries advantage at ranges 13-24.

What do the rest of you think?

Thanks,

Dave.

Prev: Re: Streamlining Next: Re: Beam Batteries