Prev: RE: Ship Registry Next: Re: Jon Tuffley writes space rules for B5 RPG

RE: Fighter disadvantage on large game area

From: rpruden@a... (Rob Pruden)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 23:58:00 -0400
Subject: RE: Fighter disadvantage on large game area

>My fighter group with fast ships idea
>
>Fighter Group:
>Thrust: 12
>Velocity: Same as Carrier at launch

We use a similar system for our fighter games with a little more
bookkeeping.  We treat the fighter groups as additional "ships" and plot
their moves along with everybody else.

  Regular fighters have a thrust of 6 and fast fighters have a thrust of
9.

This is used for the fighters just as for the ships to change speed and
turn.  Fighters, however,  can use all of their thrust for course
changes,
like the Kra'vak.  We have also experimented with splitting the fighter
course changes into *three* parts instead of two (before moving, at
midpoint, and at the end) if desired by the player controlling the
fighters.
This gives a little more flexibility that they need.

These concepts can also be used with the Realistic Movement rules as
well.

>Good:
>interesting tactical planning
>fighters can keep up
>
>Bad:
>Bookeeping fighter speed

    ...and course changes.  We haven't found it to be a problem with 10
or
fewer fighter groups on a side which is what we usually have.	It
involves
more effort but it "feels" better when a large table is used and ships
really get crankin'.  ;-)

Comments, similar solutions, etc.?

Rob Pruden

Prev: RE: Ship Registry Next: Re: Jon Tuffley writes space rules for B5 RPG