Prev: RE: FT3? Next: FT Sheets

Re: What makes a carrier a carrier part II

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:56:11 -0400
Subject: Re: What makes a carrier a carrier part II

	I've been thinking about another way to make carriers ("real"
ones)
different from other heavy combatants. In Starfire, carriers are faster
than
battleships, the idea being that a fighter bay takes up a good bit of
volume
but not as much mass as heavy armor, big guns, etc. So it would be
possible
to create a rule where if you had more mass of fighter bays than
such-and-so
that even if the ship were a capital ship, it would use the engine
construction rules for a cruiser. As a recall, WWII carriers were faster
than WWII battleships anyway.

	Another carrier idea I was tossing around was Light Fighter
Bays.
They would mass 4 but still cost 20. They could only carry Light
fighters
(and not "Light Heavies" would could theoretically be explained as
screened
light fighters). This way you could better simulate those vessels (like
Star
Destroyers) that carry loads of fighters (and if a TIE fighter isn't a
Light
Fighter, I don't know what is. Never get me to fly an eggshell like
that...).

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: RE: FT3? Next: FT Sheets