Prev: RE: DS2: Rules for the Kra'Vak Next: New Ship Record Sheet

Re: What makes a carrier, a carrier?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:18:12 -0400
Subject: Re: What makes a carrier, a carrier?

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Mike Miserendino wrote:

> Pete wrote:
> >	Ages ago, there was some talk about the dividing line between
> >a carrier and a non-carrier.  I believe it compared the MASS of the
> >fighter bays vs. something else.  I need to know so I can update my
> >gaming groups "House Rules".  Anyone remember what the "accepted"
> >carrier classification is?
>
> I think it was suggested to use ships with mass of at least cruiser
size for
> carrying fighters.  Of course smaller surface ships of today, like
> destroyers are capable of carrying aircraft as well, but with limited
> capacity and facilities.

However, you'd be very hard pressed to get more than one fighter bay
into
an escort-sized hull, so escort-sized micro-carriers don't need the
classification as 'carrier'. The only thing that classification does it
to allow launch of two fighter squadrons per turn, and if you only have
one...

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: RE: DS2: Rules for the Kra'Vak Next: New Ship Record Sheet