Prev: Re: FT3, details of needed changes Next: FYI: Death Star To Open Day Care Centre (fwd)

re:re:FT3( - Fighters and ship speeds)

From: Alan_Greep/LearningTree/GB_at_NotesPO1@c...
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:56:00 -0400
Subject: re:re:FT3( - Fighters and ship speeds)

  Tom wrote

  >Of course, the biggest thing in any Full Thrust game is your ships'
  velocity relative to fighters and missiles.  If >your capital ships
can
  safely go faster than the fighters and missiles, and you use the
optional
  rule where fighters >move after orders and before ships move, then a
  one-point turn can fool the fighters and make them nearly useless.

>I'd say that this is one of the things distinguishing many 'standard'
FT
games.	If your velocities are all under 15, >fighters will do
impressive
amounts of damage.  If your velocities are over 15, fighters often won't
be
in range.

>I don't see a way to codify that points-wise, however.
>
>Tom

I regularly fly my entire fleet at 20+ (inches on on an 8x4 foot table.
This
means that you can easily outpace even fast fighters,
also you can judge a jump over missiles. With most of the fleet being
small
enough to have thrust 8 without huge cost this
gives great maneuvorability.

Recently I ran a fleet in at max of 15 speed and suffered my worst
defeat ever
by miles! (My rolls were all ones and twos as well
though) I could not move out of the way quick enough.

Fighters are very ineffectual vs this sort of speed and you don't suffer
a turn
penalty for your speed!

Just my thoughts,

Alan Greep

Prev: Re: FT3, details of needed changes Next: FYI: Death Star To Open Day Care Centre (fwd)