Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: RE: FT3?

RE: FT3?

From: rpruden@a... (Rob Pruden)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 13:00:47 -0400
Subject: RE: FT3?

>Of course, the biggest thing in any Full Thrust game is your ships'
velocity
>relative to fighters and missiles.  If your capital ships can safely go
faster
>than the fighters and missiles, and you use the optional rule where
fighters
>move after orders and before ships move, then a one-point turn can fool
the
>fighters and make them nearly useless.
>
>I'd say that this is one of the things distinguishing many 'standard'
FT
>games.  If your velocities are all under 15, fighters will do
impressive
>amounts of damage.  If your velocities are over 15, fighters often
won't be
>in range.
>
>I don't see a way to codify that points-wise, however.
>
>Tom

You bring up a good point.  The 'standard' FT rules, however, don't
really
allow for cap ships zipping about at high velocities (doesn't fit with
our
cinematically-inspired sense of the way they should move).

The way we have fixed that problem with fighters is as was suggested
earlier.  Treat each fighter squadron as a seperate "ship" and plot a
move
for it.  FT movement plots are so easy that this won't take up too much
more
time.  Give standard fighters a thrust rating of 6 and fast fighters a
rating of 9.  Allow them to use up to all of their thrust to change
facing
(like the Kra'Vak).  This allows the fighters to move more like
everything
else and not be left behind.  We have even experimented with giving
fighters
the option to split their course changes into 3 parts: 1/3 before
moving,
1/3 at midpoint, and 1/3 at the end.

Has anybody else tried some of this?  Does it screw up the basic
"spirit" of
the game?  Would you also want to use the endurance and morale rules?

Rob

Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: RE: FT3?