Prev: [DSII] Softskinned vehicles against tank guns? Next: Re: New Irregular Miniature Ships (UK)

Re: [DSII] Softskinned vehicles against tank guns?

From: Rick Rutherford <rickr@d...>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 06:53:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [DSII] Softskinned vehicles against tank guns?

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Alex Williams wrote:
> ... That /still/ leaves the cargo DMG'd because its armour value is
> equal to the sum of valid chits (0).

Only if the chits are the same valid color, i.e. if only red chits are
valid (like when firing a laser), then green and yellow 0's have no
effect.

> I've been toying with the idea of making missiles indirect-fire
> capable as well, taking a page from Renegade Legion.

GAH! Why make missiles even MORE deadly?

> I've also considered letting SLAMs go indirect as well, since they
> have the arc of fire already, but that might be /real/ overkill; SLAM
> packs are already great bang for the buck.

Not really -- SLAMs are hindered by their relatively short range.
In the games I have played, SLAMs haven't had much impact because
they get taken out early by lasers and MDCs when they stray away from
their covering terrain.  If they stay in cover, then all you have to do
is make sure you don't get too close.  If you need to get to or through
their position, then they get flanked -- either they stay in cover and
try to tough it out, or they go hide somewhere else.

> Ah, one more thing, since it just occured to me; Firer Systems Out
> results bug me; you'd think in the future things would be more modular
> than that.  Suggested fix: on a FSO result roll a d6.  A 6 result
> means all systems are out, anything else means only the weapon being
> fired goes on the fritz, repaired just like a standard FSO result
> would be.  This actually gives you a real /reason/ to have secondary
> weapons and not just loading up on multi-barrels (since if one of the
> multis goes out, the whole thing dies).

Neat idea, but I kind of like the "everything that can go wrong, will"
aspect of the Firer Systems Down chit.

Rick Rutherford       rickr@digex.net	    The above opinions are mine.
"It seems to me that the nearer painting approaches sculpture the better
it is, and that sculpture is the worse the nearer it approaches
painting."
					     -- Michelangelo

Prev: [DSII] Softskinned vehicles against tank guns? Next: Re: New Irregular Miniature Ships (UK)