Prev: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Question

Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad)

From: Andrew Cowell <cowell@c...>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:25:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad)

In message <199609121707.SAA13141@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk >, Robin Paul
writes:

>	  I'm a biologist with a strong interest in arthropods (more
local
> ones, unfortunately!), and I think some of them might give useful
pointers
> for bug behaviour.

Wow, this was pretty neat.

>	  A lot of arthropod behaviours can be modelled using simple
flow
> charts- this could perhaps be applied in a game to give Bugs more

I've _always_ loved the idea of programming the behavior of elements
in games (usually robots), perhaps because programming is a big part
of my profession.  In games, I feel that it has some advantages:

1.) You can represent rigid or foreign psychologies without too much
detail.

2.) I feel that adding elements of the unknown to your own forces (e.g.,
    trying to execute a plan when you don't _really_ know what the
robots
    will do) can make a game a lot more fun.

3.) When you lack human opponents, you can take on a force of programmed
    opponents and have an honest game.

--
Andrew E. B. Cowell <cowell@cs.utk.edu>
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~cowell/

Prev: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Question