Prev: Re: Micromachines Ships Next: Some questions...

Re: Tours

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:25:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Tours

At 09:35 AM 8/31/96 -0400, Mike wrote:
>"Um, uh, what about a foreign national living in your country's best
ally and
>neighbour? After all, we didn't buy any British Trafalgar subs because
you
>told us not to. :)"
>
>  Which "foreign" are you referring to?

Canada, and I promise not to buy anything Cuban. :)

>  Incidentally, I'd trade a couple of batch one LA's for a Trafalgar
any
>day...  Now, the Improved LA, that's a different story...

There was talk in the late 80s of Canada buying a dozen nuclear
submarines.
It later seemed to be a political move by Brian Mulroney and the
Conservative party. The cost was about C$12 billion over about a dozen
years, and after their re-election they killed the plan and thus "saved"
C$12 billion! (For you Brits, Canadian "billion" is the same as American
"billion"; Canadian English as an interesting amalgam of American and
British English). The leading contenders for the contract were the
Trafalgar
class and the top French submarine. There was some talk that Canada
dropped
the nuclear submarine plan on the insistence of the US government (I
don't
know if it was because they didn't like the idea of Canadians having
nuclear
attack boats, or the idea that those boats weren't American made).

Allan

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Micromachines Ships Next: Some questions...