Prev: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace) Next: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: daryl.lonnon@C... (Daryl Lonnon)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:40:15 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

> FieldScott@aol.com writes:
> @:) Alun writes:
> @:)
> @:) >  There's no reason why you can't pump water through the core,
> @:) >  let the core heat it into high preasure steam, and allow the
> @:) >  steam to escape through the back of your ship - and there you
> @:) >  have it: THRUST
> @:)
> @:) Very true, but then you still have an expendable fuel: water! When
> @:) you run low on water, you have to head back to dock. And since
> @:) water can't be compressed, a large chunk of your mass is going to
> @:) be taken up with water storage. I'm trying to dream up a system
> @:) that doesn't require frequent re-fueling.
>
>   Well NASA has been thinking about the same stuff and they came up
> with the ion engine (maybe also called something like the electric
> propulsion system?) which is about as close to what you're asking
> about as we currently have.  This system uses an electric field

In my last mailing to the list I described (what I thought) was an
engine based on radioactive decay.  I'm pretty sure this is what I was
thinking of.  I guess I'm just a little bit scatter-brained today :-)

Daryl

Prev: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace) Next: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)