Prev: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust Next: Re: Some SGII questions

Re: Stargrunt II

From: "John Phelps" <jphelps@a...>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:26:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Stargrunt II

>In SGII it says you can detach part of a squad to do some other
activities
>that the whole squad doesn't need to do (recon, setup fire base, etc).
The
>Squad leader spends an action to detach. Ok. But then later it says the
>Squad Leader must role a successful communication action to have
detached
>guy do something. That leaves only 1 action for his guys. That doesn't
seem
>right.

The intent is to prevent a player from gaining a bunch of extra actions
by
dividing his squads up into a bunch of little teams.  Your proposed rule
change goes against this intent. Since you have control over how big you
set your squads up in the first place, this would be really unbalancing
have, say a 12 man squad, and then deploy into 4 three man teams (or 3
fireteams of 4, which is actually a very common structure).

I believe the real intent of the detachment rule was to have a small
team
do something while the rest of the squad covers them.  Only having 1
action
for the main unit would be sufficient for this covering fire.

- example deleted -

A better way to handle what you desired would be to detach an assault
team
instead of a cover team.  The SL stays with the firebase, directing
their
fire.  He spends one action to order the assault team to take two, and
the
other action is used by the firebase group to fire suppression.

The US Army doctrine for infantry tactics in the early 80's called for
the
squad leader to keep close control over his support weapons (M60 and
M203).
 He would not "lead the charge", but would command from a cover
position.
Of course, in SG2 terms, I would set up that unit as two "squads" of 5,
each with a team leader, and a "section leader" who was actually the
squad
leader.  So you wouldn't have any detachments - you have a cover squad
and
an assault squad.

Bottom line, I don't agree with your proposed rule change, and I like
the
rule the way it is.

John
John Phelps  ****   mailto: pbguru@cris.com or jphelps@austin.apple.com
OIC, Gundi's Gang -- Anything expressed above is strictly my opinion --
Murphy's Law of Combat, #66:
	    The enemy is never watching until you make a mistake.

Prev: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust Next: Re: Some SGII questions