Prev: Re: "Mawwiage....." -Reply Next: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:01:19 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Mike writes:

> However, nuclear reactors are currently used in some spacecraft.

Current spacecraft? Which ones?

>  There is hope to allow future incorporation into propulsion systems,
such
>  as from the folks responsible for the Daedelus and Enzman starship
designs.

How do they plan to incorporate this? The idea of controlled nuclear
explosions sounds a bit dicey to me, and I can't imagine such a ship
having a
great deal of combat maneuverability! Nuclear power is great for
generating
large, sustained amounts of steam/electricity without the need for
refueling.
But unless you can use electricity to generate gravitic fields or some
such,
how do you translate this into thrust? Most sci-fi authors skip over
this one
and just say "the ship is powered by matter-antimatter engines" or some
such.

Scott Field

------
--------
"Americans are like children: noisy, curious, unable to keep a secret,
not
given to subtlety, and prone to misbehave in public. Once one accepts
the
Americans' basically adolescent nature, the rest of their culture falls
into
place, and what at first seemed thoughless and silly appears charming
and
energetic."
	    --	Stephanie Faul, "The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans"

Prev: Re: "Mawwiage....." -Reply Next: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)