Prev: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules) Next: Re: B5 BREWs update.

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:13:47 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Date sent:  23-AUG-1996 09:10:28

>Don't forget NERVA.  ORION had many faults that they did not know how
>correct then and probably don't know now.  Such as shock and stress
over
>prolonged pulses, not to mention radiation problems.  NERVA or Nuclear
>Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application, provided the first true nuclear
>engine using controlled nuclear reactions for output.	Unfortunately,
it is
>difficult to test such devices on Earth, due to regulations and such.
>However, nuclear reactors are currently used in some spacecraft.  There
is
>hope to allow future incorporation into propulsion systems, such as
from the
>folks responsible for the Daedelus and Enzman starship designs.

>Mike Miserendino

NERVA is having something of a renaissance and is being investigated as
the
power source for the maned Mars mission. It should cut the journey time
down from 18 months down to 2 or 3. This is highly desirable as it
reduces the time the crew are exposed to cosmic radiation.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules) Next: Re: B5 BREWs update.