Prev: Re: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: Re: Cool Counters

RE: More ideas on B5

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:07:47 -0400
Subject: RE: More ideas on B5

Date sent:  21-AUG-1996 13:50:17

>Adam wrote:-
>--(Shields are totaled, fractions rounded down, max 3)
>--PDAF. Normal rules OR 0.5 shields 360
>--ADAF. Normal rules OR 1 shields 360 OR 1 die vs ships within 6"
>--C.	 Normal rules OR 0.5 shields in specific arc OR anti fighter
>				     (needs a 5 or 6 to kill 1 fighter)
>--B.	 Normal rules OR 0.5 shields in specific arc
>--A.	 Normal rules OR 0.5 shields in specific arc

>You lost me here as I am not familiar with this convention - what
>'Normal Rules' are applied.

you know. 1d6 for a C-bat, doing 1 point on a 4 or 5 and 2 on a 6.
I simply didn't want to have to spell out all the range bands and
dice again.

>What do the  0.5 - 1  shields mean?.  Shields are totaled in
>respect to what?

Well.. 0.5 + 0.5 gives equivilant of level 1 shields in that arc. You
total all the factors defending that arc (including any 360 weapons
set to intercept) to see what equivilant screens you get. (One B and
C battery defending PORT on a ship with 2xPDAF set to intercept
would have 2 screens port, and one screen on all other sides)

>Are there examples in B5 where something manages to intercept a BREW.
>AFAIR they are pretty much un-stoppable. I think the saving rolls are
>too generous.

No, no example, except a fighter defending the Agamemnon. Not that
although
we havn't SEEN incidents where defence makes a difference, we have
HEARD command crews talking about using them. The Agamemnon destroyed
the Clarkstown because it's interceptors were out (which converts to
interceptors CAN block BREWs) and had to get to point blank on the
Rowanoak to get in a shot despite the fact that we KNOW BREWs have
an absurdly long range. I presume that this was because the Rowanoak
had interceptors on line. From what I can gather, the huge energy drain
means that, if the enemy will intercept the BREW, the attacker does
not fire, so as to conserve energy for when they can punch through.

>3d6 could do as little as 3 points damage at 6 m.u.- I assume that
counts
>as a near miss? What about more d6 damage linked to range? What is max
>BREW range?

The beam is extreamly well focused, and deadly accurate. Range simply
gives
the other guy a better chance of defending himself (So the defender gets
more
dice)

>Tim
>

>	Tim

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: Murphy's Laws of Combat Next: Re: Cool Counters