Prev: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)

Re: Gen Con '97

From: "John Phelps" <jphelps@a...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:27:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Gen Con '97

>Paul wrote:
>>To all of you who went this year, as crowded and as full as the games
get
>>... is it worth it to go for just one or two days (namely Sat-Sun
>>afternoon?)? I have NEVER been there, and it sounds like a great time!
>
> Mike and others suggested Friday and Saturday, but go for all four if
possible.

I didn't go this year, but I've been up to GenCon three times now.
Driving
up from Texas, we took a week off and attended all 4 days of the con.
However, by Sunday we're always worn out, and there usually isn't as
much
going on that last day.  Only one of the three trips did I have any fun
on
Sunday (tying for the win of the Space Hulk tournament).

My recommendation would be to go for Friday and Saturday, plan on
traveling
home Sunday afternoon (maybe attend one event in the Sunday 8 to 12
block).

If you can squeeze extra time, go Wednesday night so you can attend the
Thursday events.  Many of the multiple day tournaments start on Friday,
also many of the games where you have a "training" version, then a
tournament have the first round on Thursday.

Also, you can pre-reg on Wednesday (if you don't ahead of time) and
still
get just about everything you want.

I would not go at all if you could only attend one day (unless you live
in
the area).

That's my 2 cents!  : )   And I do plan on going next year.  The only
reason I didn't go this year was that I had a chance to go to the
MacWorld
Expo.  ;)

John

John Phelps  ****   mailto: pbguru@cris.com or jphelps@austin.apple.com
OIC, Gundi's Gang -- Anything expressed above is strictly my opinion --
Murphy's Law of Combat, #66:
	    The enemy is never watching until you make a mistake.

Prev: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)