Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: hard to find miniature ranges

Re: Mudside Thrust, or GZG meets ACW

From: tblazer@e... (Christepher A. McKenney)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:34:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Mudside Thrust, or GZG meets ACW

>On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:40:14 -0700 (PDT) Larry Enoch <mci3@CLASS.ORG>
>writes:
>>Having absolutely nothing better to do on my commute home, I was
>>daydreaming about my Thoroughbred Miniatures ACW Ironclads, bemoaning
>>the fact that Excalibur's Ironclads rules are very chart intensive,
and
>>wondering if there was any way to make a simpler ironclad game.
>
>Which system does Thoroughbred Minis use? Wehat scale do you play? I
play
>1:1200 scal, but this year we are experimenting with 1:600 scale. I
>personally use "Age of Iron" rules.
>
>Paul

Thoroughbred Minis are 1/600 scale and are based for any particular
game.
My group uses the minis with the Exalibur's "Ironclads" rules, converted
by
measuring in inches from the center point of the ship, instead of hexes
and
using the templates included as firing arcs (as appropriate).  While
there
is a few charts to use (normally you only use 3 charts (2 of which are
memorized by the second game) for each shot), in my opinion (and my
group's), the game is very simple to play and the detail and special
hits
are really cool.  The game appears complicated to play at first but it
is no
more complex than FT/MT with most the options from MT in play (ok, I
cloak
for 12 turns).

On the cloaking device issue, my group requires the individual to write
all
orders from the time of cloak to uncloak when the ship cloaks.	Because
of
this some really cool incidents have happened.	We have had 2"
broadsides
from dual decloaking ships (multiple times).  Once I decloaked directly
infront of my friends supership (104 mass 2000 pt ship) with my 180 mass
2000 pt ship with my rear arc facing his front arc.  It looked very grim
but
he hadn't put in his orders to fire his wave gun and the only other main
weapon he had was a pulse torpedo (other than quite a few missiles).
And,
finally, both my opponents cloaked and one decloaked across the board.
flew my ship around on my side for a few turns and then accelerated
toward
the bogey position of the second (still-cloaked) ship and fired a needle
missile to where I figured he would decloak.  He decloaked THAT turn
with a
needle missile 1" away and my SDN about 5" in his rear fire arc (it pays
know your enemy) - can you say no more cloaking device.

Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: hard to find miniature ranges