Prev: Re: Macross Next: cloaking device

Re: Torpedoes

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:23:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Torpedoes

<< A-bats can have only one firing arc
 B-bats can have up to two arcs
 C-bats can have up to three arcs

 Has anyone tried anything similar?

 Scott Field

We have gone to using the following system.  Many people will not like
it
since it has fractional values, but we don't mind.
							  mass
Battery 		       1 arc		  2 arc 	       3
arc
A				   2			3
		    4
B				   1			1.5
		 2
C				   0.5		      0.75
   1

This has done a lot to improve beam weapon balance (imo).   The three
arc A
batt no longer dots every ship, people are using a lot mor single arc
weapons, leading to more maneuver.  B batts are becoming more popular.
The
C-batt retains its anti-fighter capability.  In our last game. I think I
was
the only player using 3-arc A's.  the others were using a mixture of B's
and
one or two arc A's with C's as point defense.  All costs remain the
same.

Regarding the "unrealistic" ship debate.  Our group tries out a lot of
whacky
designs and battle schemes.  Sometimes they work (Like when one player
made
several mass 100 gun monitors, each with only 10 AA batts.  These were
protected by Aegis ships and minelayers.)  Sometimes they don't.  The
player
when building this fleet is going for the jackpot.  Either a crushing
win or
a crushing defeat, since these fleets always have gaping weaknesses
which
will be lehally exploited if the opponent shows up properly equipped.
If
someone in your group is spoiling others fun with consistent rules
lawyering,
just don't play with him/her.  Otherwise, have fun with this flexible
and fun
game.

Later

Brian

P.S.  Have to disagree about the EMP missile.  Any ship with level 2 or
3
screens is not likely to get hurt at all.  And thats if the missile
arrives
in the first place.  They are pretty good for smacking cruisers, but
what
isn't.....  Then again, my fleets are crawling with
anti-fighter/anti-missile....

Prev: Re: Macross Next: cloaking device