Prev: Re: Minatures Next: Re: Minatures

RE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 21:26:02 -0400
Subject: RE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

> Do you use the bodies of the Renegade Legion tanks as
> ships, too?  I intend to get Full Thrust (when I can
> justify it to my wife after having spent some money
> on other stuff recently), and I noticed that those
> tanks (which I got to use with Dirtside or made-up
> Eldar units in Space Marine) would make good spaceships.
> I'd even thought of using the turrets as fighters,
> so now I know someone else thinks they'd work.  But
> I've not played or read the game yet, so I don't really
> understand some of the specifics of how you mounted them.
>
> andy
> andy.skinner@tseng.com

The stands are from GW's Epic 40K game system. Something like 20 stands
come in a pack and you pay the inflated GW prices ($3-4) but I use them
for 2 reasons, 1) the stands are the perfect size to mount magnetically
and 2) the indentations (where space marines normally go) is
approximately the right size for micro-dice.
	A GW Epic stand is about 3/4" x 3/4" with a 1" banner pole in
the
middle of one side.  The top half of the banner pole needs to be clipped

to mount a Renegade Legion turret more firmly.	I use the smaller
turrets
for fighters and have considered mounting some of the larger ones to
represent torpedo or heavy fighters, but the large turrets can be as big

as an inch in length.  The turrets are atached with cyano-acrylic glue.
	The bodies are currently in use as ships with conglomerations of

up to 6 bodies around a piece of balse making a battlecruiser sized
ship.  Additions of RL turrets or other small bits of wire, plastic,
wood
are used to finish off the ships.  I Currently use 9mm shell casings as
engine units with primer caps being used as additional decoration.
	Reasonable merchant/tankers can be made by epoxying 4-6 marbles
in a pyramid/double pyramid shape with an engine pod or two tacked on.
	Another source of big ship parts is Sculpey modeling clay which
can be hardened in the oven.  Smooth ellipses and disks are moderately
easy to form and can always be shaped with sandpaper after hardening.
Fine lines can be engraved into the hardened clay to accentuate details.

--Binhan Lin

Prev: Re: Minatures Next: Re: Minatures