Prev: Re: Anoraks and Parkas Next: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

Dirtside II Artillery, etc.

From: resmith@c... (Rob Smith)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:48:57 -0400
Subject: Dirtside II Artillery, etc.

>On Thu, 18 Jul 96 14:35:30 CDT jjm@zycor.lgc.com (johnjmedway) writes:
>>
>>1. The mortars were behind obscuring woods, so they couldn't
>>   use direct fire.
>>2. Their commander was at the woods edge and could see the target.
>>3. The arty falls in the activation following the observation.
>>4. The act of observation counts as the activation for that unit,
>>   hence they do not have another activation to spend on delivering
>>   the munitions.
>>>
>>Ways of handling this problem:
>>
>>1. Make observation not an action, so the chit can be placed in
>>another unit's activation. (Feels odd, but may be workable)
>>2. Bring IF artillery called in by the unit's commander down
>>immediately, rather than on the next activation. (Makes arty pretty
>butch)
>

>I guess knowing modern military, it has just never been an issue for
me.
>The lag also is attributed to unit orginization. If artillery is in
>support, it takes longer or maybe won't come at all. If it's attached,
>you get it when your in priority. But if it's INTEGRAL, it's on the way
>ASAFP.
>
>I can see your delimna though ... but I think I would still allow it.
>
>Paul

The main issue here, I think, is what do the rules say. We are just
learning the rules and we want to play them as written until we better
understand how all the different aspects interact. After that, we will
likely begin to alter things to fit our perceptions of modern and future
combat.

AS THE RULES STAND artillery cannot direct fire, nor can the commander
of
an artillery unit call in his own assets. As John noted, the act of
calling
the artillery uses its activation and thus it cannot fire. In other
words,
the effect is the opposite of what you noted; integral artillery cannot
support its own units, because there is no direct fire provision and
activation of the obsrever activates the tubes as well (which can't land
until their next activation).

Some other questions by another member of our group follow:

>From Tom Primrose:
1.  RAM artillery.  The rules say they can be mounted on a vehicle,
towed or man-packed.  If towed or mounted I assume the artillery is
with the vehicle but where is the ammo stored for man-packed?  Are the
ammo chits just placed next to the stand?  If the man-packed mortar
moves how does the ammo move?  I assume the mortar is broken down for
moving and if so, should it take one action to dismantle the weapon and
one action to assemble it?  That is how towed artillery is handled.

2.  Are area defense or point defense systems allowed on VTOLs or other
aircraft?  I can accept that a PDS can be allowed - it can be flares or
chaff - but am unsure about ADS.

3.  The rules state every vehicle has smoke dischargers.  I assume that
riverine, vtols and aerospace vehicles would not (any others?).  Also,
the smoke is placed in front of the vehicle but why can't it be placed
on whatever side the player wants, especially if the vehicle has a full
traverse turret?

4.  If a GMS/L infantry stand draws a "systems down - firer" chit,
should the missle not be able to fire until the problem is resolved?

5.  HEL, DFFG, and any type of artillery fire automatically sets fire
to woods or buildings, does the fire spread in subsequent turns? If
this is correct then smoke rounds will cause a fire.  Also, how big an
area catches fire?  The rules state the area fired at catches on fire
but what if artillery fires an open sheaf at a wood line or buildings,
is the entire area under the sheaf on fire or just the area covered by
the impact markers?

Well, that's all for now.  I'm sure we'll find other vague areas in the
rules which need some clarification.

Tom

That's all for now,

Rob

Rob Smith
Dept. of Govt.
University of Texas
Austin, TX 78712
resmith@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Prev: Re: Anoraks and Parkas Next: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!