Prev: Re: Gen-Con / Tuffley Visit Next: Re: Dirtside II points

Re: Dirtside II points

From: osiris.1@i... (Christopher Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 02:47:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside II points

Rob wrote:

>I don't see much discussion of DSII on the list, but I'll venture a
>few questions and observations, in any case.

Good, 'cause I like this game. :)

>1) The strength of artillery in our (admittedly few) games seems
pretty
>overwhelming.

Amen. It's like that for a reason. Artillery is the "real killer" of
modern warfare; infantry and armour just don't compare. The principle
limitations for arty are their ammo capacity (generally three effective
strikes) and the unreliable nature of calling down fire.

>2) Do SLAMs seem not to function as they are discribed (that is,
rocket
>pods shooting clusters of unguided rockets)? It would seem reasonable
>run tem like artillery, with varing areas and strength of effect. It
should
>be able to be used against both infantry and vehicles (as they have
>historically and are currently used).

Hmmm. I suppose you could do it that way, but the limited area-effect
rules seem to work for me.

>3) Why are there no provisions for artillery direct fire?

Everyone I know allows arty to direct fire automatically with no
spotter. We assume that if the enemy gets that close, the crew is going
to stop listening to the C.O.'s support requests and start blasting
those guys coming over the hill!

>4) Innovative "Chartless" combat system? Ha! Only because they
>provided no quick reference charts is it a chartless game.

Not going to argue that one. I think someone posted a well-organized
system of using colored dice? Anyone care to back me up on that one?

>Just a few thoughts. Any other perspectives out there?
>
>Regards,
>
>Rob

Keep on fightin', Rob!

Christopher

"No, I said arty on oh-one-one-oh, not oh-oh-one-oh! Uh oh."

Prev: Re: Gen-Con / Tuffley Visit Next: Re: Dirtside II points