Prev: Re: mines and sensors Next: RE: Find your dress e-uniform, everyone...

Re: New FT systems. (was: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...)

From: Peter Caron <pcaron@c...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:55:10 -0400
Subject: Re: New FT systems. (was: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...)

Jerry Han wrote:
> Actually, if you're in games where tossing Nova Cannon blasts around
is a
> good thing (8-) has anybody tried play testing the idea of allowing
> shields to subtract from Nova Cannon damage?

Yes, our group has.  Instead of changing the rules so that Screens
might offer some protection, we've added a new system to protect vs.
"Plasma" attacks.  It's called the Gravitic Shield, "Shields" for
short.	Here's the scoop.

Gravitic Shield
Mass: 5/lvl    Cost: 30/lvl

Shields against Plasma weapons (Pulse Torp's, Wave Guns, Nova Cannon,
and a few other plasma weapons we've developed).

Level 1 Shields stops 1-3 damage.
Level 2 Shields stops 1d6 damage.
Level 3 Shields stops 2d6 damage.

Note:  The Gravitic Shield affects Plasma weapons ONLY!  No effect
versus Beams, Mines, Missles, etc.

Playtesting Comments

	We've noticed that adding this option doesn't imbalence the
games at all.  When designing fleets, players must now weigh the
pro's and con's of such shielding as it does take up precious hull
space and isn't cheap either.

	Our gaming group has developed a number of new systems to
add variety to play.  They include:

	Disruptors (Longer ranged but weaker Pulse Torps)
	Photons (Same range and damage as Pulse Torps but Screens,
		 not Gravitic Shields protect.)
	Plasma Torps (More powerful Plasma weapon.  Use missle
		      rules for movement.  Need to be charged like
		      the Wave Gun!)
	Mines (Four new types)
	Missles (Two new types)
	Deflectors (Protection against Kra'vakian weapons)
	Expanding Sphere Generator (Cuts through Mines/missles/Fighters)
	Hellbores (Short ranged Plasma weapon doing damage like the
		   Pulse Torpedo but forces Threshold checks on all
		   Shield/Screen/Deflector systems.  Needs to be
		   charged like the Wave Gun)

	Plus a few others...

Obviously, alot of these weapons were "translations" from Star Fleet
Battles.  I might be coerced into making the cost, mass and rules for
use of these systems available on the net but be forwarned.  I will
have to edit them heavily as I do not wish to violate the FT copyright.
This could take time...

Peter Caron
pcaron@cris.com

Prev: Re: mines and sensors Next: RE: Find your dress e-uniform, everyone...