Prev: Re: Find your dress e-uniform, everyone... Next: Re: Traveller ship designs

Re: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...

From: davisje@a... (Jonathan Davis)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:52:19 -0400
Subject: Re: Battlepod Swarm from Hell...

> > > 3) Use the Nova Cannon or the Wave Gun to set up a "cone of death"
that
> > > the pods can't get through.  Especially if you're on a somewhat
restricted

> > This is definitely a "gamey" tactic, except where the restricted
combat
> > area can be justified: Asteroid belt or similar. Otherwise, using
the
> > edges of an infinite gameboard (=space) against your opponent is a
> > classical example of munchkinism. But then again, unless the
background
> > can adequatly explain them, so are the battle pods...
>
> Oh, it's definately a "gamey" tactic, but if the opponent, after all
the
> above, is willing to send 100 battlepod type ships at you, I figure
that
> fair is fair.  Besides, it isn't that gamey... figure two capital
ships
> (not impossible in large task forces, or if you're refighting Jutland
or
> something to that effect (8-) ), and they can "sterilize" a cone 36"
long,
> and 24" across at the base?

The battle pods have such a high thrust value that they could manuever
around
the "spinal mounts" of the Nova Cannon and the Wave Gun.  The Wave Gun
doesn't
have a reliable rate of fire either!  Catching them in your "cones of
fire"
would be nontrivial.

I think a better method for dealing with these "flies" are light
cruisers with
triple arc B batteries and extra firecons.  Or a munchkin fleet of
corvettes
with a single triple arc A battery each.  Your fleet would manuever to
keep
the battle pods at 18"+ range and whittle them down to vapor.

Prev: Re: Find your dress e-uniform, everyone... Next: Re: Traveller ship designs