Prev: Re: Systems.zip-Mark Next: Re: GenCon/Tuffley visit

Re: Traveller ship designs

From: a210486@t... (kosta kalogeropoulos 956-6476)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:44:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Traveller ship designs

At 8:37 PM 7/9/96, Michael Carter Llaneza wrote:
>My reference work is currently Supplement 9: Fighting Ships. I suspect
>that both the CT and MT designs need to be considered. Since Full
>Thrust works with (much) less detail than Megatraveller did, I think
>the Classic/High Guard designs from Supp. 9 will make the best starting
>point.

Mike, I like your ideas for using the High Guard supplement. I have also
spent time comparing the starship designs between 'Battle Rider' and
'Fighting Ships-MT version' and there is quite a difference in what
wpns.
each has available (probably due to the level of detail each brings
forth).
Since 'Battle Rider' is the simpler of the two, I would also like to use

this system for possible designs.

OK, so what I'm recommending is that we use a design based on your
supplements
from classic Traveller to make some nice detailed ships; and also make
simpler
designs based on 'Battle Rider'.

For 'Battle Rider', the wpns. are broken down into 4 general types:
- Meson guns (M)
- Particle accelerators (P)
- Lasers (L)
- Missiles

While the defense screens come in 3 flavors:
- Meson screens (defend against M, ...duh)
- Sandcasters (for use against P and L)
- Nuclear dampers (protect against missiles)

Each ship counter in the game lists the wpns. and defense screens it
has available, as well as quantity of each.

Here is a typical ship layout:
BR - Admiral class
M[-2]8:11-9-6-3      (Both M & P are spinal mounts)
P[-2]10:12
L[x10-2]10:2-2-1-0
L(x30-2)2:1

In order the above values show => Wpn. type,[quantity and diff.
modifier],
				  short range in hexes: damage at ea.
range
				  band.
The ranges are short, medium(2x short), long (4x short), and extreme (8x
short).

A simple conversion for the above would be that the first 2 wpns. fire
in the
fwd. arc only and could be classified as very powerful mounts. The next
10
laser mounts could be placed symmetrically around the ship as 'C'
batteries,
and the last laser entry is omitted. (Forgive the 'loose' use of the
term 'mount')

Let me know what you folks think of all this. I for one don't mind
helping
to create 2 different design systems (one detailed, the other a little
simpler).

Kosta

Prev: Re: Systems.zip-Mark Next: Re: GenCon/Tuffley visit