Prev: Re: Gen-Con / Tuffley Visit Next: Re: Starting a Demo?

Re: Starting a Demo?

From: Adam Dixon <adixon@p...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:43:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Starting a Demo?

Adam Delafield wrote:

> Date sent:  8-JUL-1996 08:42:10
>
> >Several people have suggested using Star Trek or Star Wars as
backrounds
> >because they're both familiar. I've never run a demo game, but it
seems to me
> >that SW might be better than ST.  Trek ships, weapons, etc. all
behave
> >differently from standard FT, and there are a lot of Trek-fanatics
out there
> >(no offense intended) who might be apt to dismiss FT as being a poor
Trek
> >simulation. (ie -- "shields don't act like that," or "why can't I do
this
> >maneuver when Picard did it in such-and-such episode" and so on.) Has
anyone
> >experienced this?
>
> >Scott Field
>
> With the 'Hard Core' trecker, you can experience the 'Hood' syndrome.
(The
> one where in Naval wargames ALL british ships blow up due to 'lucky'
hits
> to ammo storage). This is because ST eps are solved by plot lines (or
plot
> loopholes) and not by a straight out slugfeist. I usually know enough
about
> the episode to counter any attempt to use it as an excuse to do
something
> outside the game. (eg the 'Picard maneuver' is now so commonly known
that
> all ships carry equipment to monitor micro-pressure variations as a
> standard part of their scanners. And the only reason it worked in the
> episode anyway was because they didn't want to blow the ship up 8-) ).
> But still, you can't have the complex 'role playing' as part of a
'simple'
> fast paced game.
>
> In fact, at the end of the day, ST weapons do not behave any
differently
> from FT weapons. The only difference is in the descriptions. (With TNG
> and the Films, ships with shields up can, and do, take damage).
>
> I'd be sceptical about using fighters as part of a participation game
for
> beginners.
>
> +-------------------------------------+--------------------+
> | Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	| Bolton Institute,  |
> |					| Eagle Tower,	     |
> | E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk		| College Way,	     |
> | Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	     |
> | Fax    : +44 1204 399074		| BL3 5AE.	     |

I'd disagree about the fighters.  I was taught FT on a small fleet with
one fighter group, and it I think it made a lot of difference in my
enjoyment of the game.	Just as long as you go slowly and make sure that

you explain everything, I think anyone could pick it up without
anytrouble.

Adam Dixon

Prev: Re: Gen-Con / Tuffley Visit Next: Re: Starting a Demo?