Prev: Kra'Vak Guns Next: Re: Battlestar Galactica ships, etc.

Re: Those annoying aliens...

From: "Mike Wikan" <mww@n...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 07:14:26 -0400
Subject: Re: Those annoying aliens...

> >How about buying ECM systems that effect Kra'vak fire by subtracting
> >ine from their "to hit" roll? That would make area of effect ECM
> >worth it's weight in gold for a task force....
> >Mike Wikan
> >Game Design\Conceptual Art
> >n-Space, Inc.
>
> Now you're cooking on gas!  That makes good sense, bearing in mind
that the
> stream of railgun penetrators would have to be spread over a wider
area in
> the hope of registering hits on an ECM-protected target.  I assume SM
packs
> have some form of proximity fusing, and that scatterguns are already
> affecting a wide area, so neither of these systems would be affected.
>
> Rob

If we assume that all beam batteries are lightspeed or near
lightspeed weapons they would be relatively unaffected by "Minor" ECM
spoofing. They would simply pan around until they got a laser "Paint"
and then pulse- the firing doesn't have to predict target movement
beyond a light second or two. A railgun, however fast, is considerably
slower than light (say, 10%c) So the target ship may have moved
substantially between launch and impact. If ECM makes the targeting
slightly less precise, then it would have significant impact on
railgun weapons, missiles, and pulse torpedoes. Anything launched by
fighter would be immune, as they close to virtual point blank before
firing, anyway. Just a thought....
Mike Wikan
Game Design\Conceptual Art
n-Space, Inc.

Prev: Kra'Vak Guns Next: Re: Battlestar Galactica ships, etc.