Prev: RE: New FT Gamer (long) Next: Re: Those annoying aliens...

Re: Starting a Demo?

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:03:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Starting a Demo?

Mark A. Siefert wrote:
>Hi Ya-all:
>	So far there is only one game store in the South Eastern
>Wisconsin Area that sells Full Thrust and other GZG products.	In order

>to spread the holy word of Full Thrust and increase GZG availability, I

>want to start a few demo games.  However, I don't have the foggiest
idea
>about how to get started.  Does anyone out there in Internet-land have
>any suggestions?

I started demoing FT games at a local gaming store by just asking.  They
usually are pretty good about this(as long as they don't complain about
using the public restroom without permission, eh Paul? ;) ), especially
when
you are promoting products they sell.  Several people who played some of
my
demo games were playing a wargame for the first time and loved it!

My best experience was when a friend of mine attended with his 11 year
old
step-daughter.	She pretty much wiped the board of any enemy craft near
her
with constant high die rolls.  It was the first time either of them
played
such a game and they both had a great time.  I get repeat players now
who
help spread the word and some of whom run it themselves like Paul Neher.

* If the store has a gaming area, make sure they can provide you with
sufficient tables and chairs(or someone might need to stand a few hours,
right Paul? ;) ) and help promote the game event day by advertising a
sign-up sheet(might need to make your own) in advance.
* I have always supplied my own miniatures, playing mat, dice, pencils,
ships forms, cheat sheets, etc.
* Come prepared to take damage.  I have had a few ships dropped,
disformed,
etc. by players unexperienced with the etiquette of handling miniatures.
Make sure you explain how you want your minis cared for to reduce any
potential disasters.
* Respect all store policies and make sure your players understand them.
Even the ones not printed anywhere, explained to you, etc.  Some store
managers can be big time jerks, so if you're unsure about something(like
using a public restroom, that's labeled "Public Restroom", in the center
of
a publicly accessible room for the public) just ask!
* Most of all, remember to have fun!

Mike Miserendino

Prev: RE: New FT Gamer (long) Next: Re: Those annoying aliens...