Prev: Re: Dave Hyde Sci-Fi Supply) Next: Re: DSII: Systems Down Chit for..

Re: DSII: Close Assault Questions

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:16:23 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII: Close Assault Questions

>Here's some more questions:

>1) If an assaulting unit has an Under Fire marker, does it need to make
2
>Reaction tests, 1 caused by trying to move with an Under Fire marker &
1
>for close assaulting?

No, you only take ONE test, but the Threat Level will be the highest
that
applies. (i.e. +1 if Confident and Under Fire.)

2) This one was previously answered.

>3) Other than possibly as noted in £1 above, does an Under Fire marker

>have any other affect on a close assault?  It affects the die for fire
>effectiveness, but I can't find any affect in close assaults.

No, Under Fire has no other effect in CA.

>4) How do Confidence tests in close assault affect tests outside of
close
>assault?  For example, since a unit that has taken over 50% casualties
has
>a +3 for the fall back Confidence test, does it also have to take a
>general +2 Confidence test for taking more than 50% casualties?

Take a CL Test with a TL of +3 for the fall back test. The unit must
then
take a CL Test at a TL of +2 (for 50% casualties during battle) the next

time it is activated and every activation thereafter. See also answer to
Q6
below.

>5) How do you count causality percentages in a mechanized infantry
unit?
>Is each infantry stand/vehicle counted as 1 casualty out of the total
>number?  Or should there be a weighted percentage one way or the other?
>had an infantry platoon that had all it's vehicles destroyed, but all
of
>it's infantry was already dismounted & had taken no casualties.  The
>vehicle:infantry ration was 1:2, so only 1/3 of the platoon's total
>elements were destroyed, but having all of a platoon's vehicles
destroyed
>seems kind of significant.  °I know this will probably be a judgment
call,
>but I just thought I'd get some input.§

I would count each vehicle as 1 and each infantry stand as 1. The only
time
that you might not do this is during a CA when you should only count the

vehicles actually involved in the CA. So if your mech platoon dismounts,

leaves its vehicles behind and then mounts a CA, only count the infantry

stands.

>6) Do you have to take the +2 Confidence test for taking 50% casualties

>only once when you cross the 50% threshold, or for every casualty taken

>after the 50% point?

P23. states that: "A CONFIDENCE TEST should be taken when any of the
following apply:". Since the "50% casualties or more in the battle so
far
is a persistent condition, then a unit to which this applies must take a
CL
test on every activation. The effect of this is that while suffering 50%

losses is not immediately critical, it will not be very long before the
unit has had enough - unless you keep rolling good dice!

>Thanks,
>Nils

OK, Mike Elliott, GZG

Prev: Re: Dave Hyde Sci-Fi Supply) Next: Re: DSII: Systems Down Chit for..