Prev: RE: New Irregular ST Minis & Transporter technology NOT Next: Those Quiet Annoying Seiferts...

Re: New Irregular ST Minis & Transporter technology NOT

From: rkp@m... (Robin Paul)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:04:23 -0400
Subject: Re: New Irregular ST Minis & Transporter technology NOT

>Adam wrote
SNIP
>Anyone read the Physics of Star Trek book, quite good, but depressing
in that
>were never going to beam anywhere folks (requires heating of matter
1,000,000
>times hotter than the suns core, require more energy than humanity
produces,
>improve computer storage by a factor of 1000 billion billon, flaunt the
laws
>of quantum mechanics, imaging system bigger than the earth's diameter -
no
>wonder McCoy was nevous).
>
>	Tim Jones
>	timj@uk.gdscorp.com

	Stick with those fine Space-Commies (sorry, Mark! ;-) ) of Iain
Banks "Culture" stories- in "The State of the Art", the drone
Skaffen-Amtiskaw comments rather sniffily about humans not understanding
the
difference between ST beaming and Culture "displacement"...

	Don't forget, once upon a time, "death-rays" were impossible, as
"any such object hot enough to radiate so intensely would explode
instantaneously".  Also remember (Arthur C.) Clarke's Law, "Whenever an
eminent scientist says a thing is impossible, it immediately becomes
inevitable" (Hmm, I must get someone famous to say I'll never win the
lottery...)

Rob

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rkp@mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
			 "Auld an' bald!"

Prev: RE: New Irregular ST Minis & Transporter technology NOT Next: Those Quiet Annoying Seiferts...