Prev: Archives are available on the WWW... Next: Re: FT B5 SPOILER DANGER!!!

Re: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

From: Sevrenn@a...
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:18:27 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

<< To me, I don't see the point.  I guess you could simplify by just
using
 elite troops, but what's the fun here?

IMHO, most of the bells and whistles of an army like the Sauron Supermen
would be handled in the TO&E rather than by makeing special rules, in
the
books they WERE pretty nasty, but weren't completely invulnerable. I'd
say
they were a very small, very well equipped elite force but (at least on
the
DS2 scale) nothing TOO special, their tru advantage lies outside the
game
scope. They can survive with natural ease in harsh environments, and
have
great endurance, so in SG2, maybe they would be really hard to get to
detrimental fatigue levels. At SG2 scale is where you'd need some extra
rules, but I haven't given much thought to it yet. Also, bear in mind
that
one of the reasons the Supermen were so effective is that they faced
largely
Militia or Untrained troops, stiffened by Local Line troops for the most
part
(at least this is the impression I've always had). So take an elite
Sauron
force with Orbital, Air, and Arty support against a larger poorly
equipped
planetary force (who MIGHT have some arty and maybe some armor, but
maybe
not) that probably consists of in DS2 terms of 60-80% militia troops,
20-40%
Line troops and 0-10% elite troops (off the top of the ol' noggin) that
is
disorganized and frightened, et voila the myth of the indestructible
Sauron.

Well that's my .02 worth, maybe I'll scour my books and do some
cogitating on
the matter.

Hope this helps

Gene.

Prev: Archives are available on the WWW... Next: Re: FT B5 SPOILER DANGER!!!